Careers in the Plant Sciences
Sonoma State University - Rohnert Park, California, USA
Position Title: Managing Editor
Position Type: Permanent Position
Application Review Begins: Monday, May 01, 2017
Application Deadline: Thursday, June 01, 2017
Institution: Sonoma State University
Department/Division: Department of Biology
Field (e.g., systematics):
City: Rohnert Park, California, USA
General Information: AoB PLANTS, an open-access journal published by Oxford University Press (www.aobplants.oxfordjournals.org), is seeking a Managing Editor to assist with all aspects of journal operations. Established in 2009, this non-profit journal publishes peer-reviewed articles on all aspects of environmental and evolutionary plant biology. Submitted manuscripts undergo rigorous double-blind evaluation, and accepted articles are published online within days of acceptance. AoB PLANTS is the sister journal of Annals of Botany, which has been in operation for over 125 years.
The appointment for the Managing Editor will be 50% time, with options for the position to expand as the journal grows. Salary level will be negotiable and based on previous experience. The successful candidate need not be based in a specific location, but preference will be given to applicants located in or near the San Francisco Bay Area (to facilitate interactions with the Chief Editor). Funds will be available for establishing and running the Managing Editor’s office. In addition, all necessary expenses associated with representing the journal at national and international conferences and meetings will be covered.
Qualifications/Requirements: The Managing Editor should have a graduate degree (preferably a PhD) in biology or a related field and knowledge of and interest in plants. He/she must also have:
• Experience conducting and publishing plant-focused research on environmental and evolutionary topics;
• Excellent time-management, planning and organizational skills;
• Excellent communication, writing and editing skills; proficiency with social media;
• Excellent computer, web and software skills;
• Ability to work effectively with the Chief Editor, Associate Editors, editorial and publishing staff, reviewers, journal authors, and outside vendors;
• Ability to identify operational problems and devise solutions; and
• Ability to work independently and proactively with minimal supervision.
Responsibilities: The Managing Editor of AoB PLANTS is charged with managing the day- to-day operations of the journal. Responsibilities include the following:
• Work with the Chief Editor, Associate Editors, and Deputy Managing Editor to address issues that arise in the peer-review and publishing processes;
• Assist with the evaluation of and decisions regarding submitted manuscripts;
• Use the web-based manuscript-submission system (eJournalPress) to monitor submitted manuscripts and train Associate Editors to use the system;
• Evaluate the journal’s success and performance using standard metrics such as article downloads, submission rates, and citation rates).
• Maintain expense records for the journal and coordinate payments to outside vendors;
• Work with the Chief Editor to revise and keep updated the journal’s website;
• Work with the Chief Editor and AssociateEditors to solicit, arrange and produce special issues, review articles and mini-reviews;
• Work with the Chief Editor to develop strategies and materials for marketing and promoting the journal to increase usage and encourage submissions
• Supervise the work of the Deputy Managing Editor and any temporary employees engaged for special assignments; and
• Represent and promote the journal at appropriate external events and conferences.
Application Instructions (submission methods, etc.): If you are interested in the position, email the Chief Editor (Dr. Hall Cushman, email@example.com) and current Managing Editor (Gail Rice, firstname.lastname@example.org) with a CV, detailed cover letter outlining your background and interests in the position, and list of names and contact information for at least three references. Review of applications will begin May 1, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Web Link: http://
Contact Name: Hall Cushman and Gail Rice, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org