Careers in the Plant Sciences
BIOLOGICAL FIELD TECHNICIAN- FOREST VEGETATION
Mohonk Preserve - New Paltz, NY, United States
Position Title: BIOLOGICAL FIELD TECHNICIAN- FOREST VEGETATION
Position Type: Temporary Position
Application Review Begins: Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Application Deadline: Friday, March 03, 2017
Institution: Mohonk Preserve
Department/Division: Conservation Science
Field (e.g., systematics):
City: New Paltz, NY, United States
General Information: The Mohonk Preserve, New York State’s largest member & visitor supported nature preserve, is seeking a qualified person to fill the position of BIOLOGICAL FIELD TECHNICIAN- FOREST VEGETATION.
The Mohonk Preserve helps to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. The Preserve manages 8,500 acres of the northern Shawangunk Mountains in Ulster County, NY through four integrated programs – Conservation Science, Education, Land Stewardship, and Land Protection, and is a regional model for large-scale conservation planning.
Qualifications/Requirements: Requirements include:
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, forestry, or ecology preferred; experience conducting field research essential
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail essential.
• Ability to identify local vegetation, especially trees and shrubs.
• Familiarity with using forestry equipment including but not limited to tape measures, DBH tape, densitometer, compass, clinometer, and quadrats.
• Computer proficiency; familiarity with data entry and management, e.g. MS Excel; proficiency using GPS technology.
• Ability to hike up to five miles in a rugged outdoor environment carrying up to 30 pounds of equipment in all weather conditions.
• Ability to use basic tools and assist with building fencing/exclosures.
Responsibilities: The Biological Field Technician for Forest Vegetation will perform surveys and record data of forest vegetation diversity on Mohonk Preserve. This position will support departmental initiatives, outreach opportunities, and carrying out the Preserve’s mission. The position is supervised by the Research Ecologist and also requires working closely with other Conservation Science and Mohonk Preserve staff. This hourly, grant-funded position runs for 12 weeks, approximately late March-late May 2017; approximately 20 hrs. per week.
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.
Application Instructions (submission methods, etc.): Applications accepted via e-mail only. Please submit as a single PDF: cover letter, CV, and the names and contact information for 3 references by 5PM EST March 3, 2017 to: email@example.com . Include in subject line “Forest Vegetation”.
No phone calls please.
For more information about the Preserve, visit our website: www.mohonkpreserve.org
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Compensation Range: $14 per hour
Contact Name: Dr. Elizabeth Long, firstname.lastname@example.org