Careers in the Plant Sciences
Field Botany Technician (invasive plants)
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden (RSABG) - Claremont, CA, United States
Position Title: Field Botany Technician (invasive plants)
Position Type: Temporary Position
Application Review Begins: Monday, February 13, 2017
Application Deadline: Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Institution: Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden (RSABG)
Department/Division: Field Studies
Field (e.g., systematics):
City: Claremont, CA, United States
General Information: In collaboration with the Angeles National Forest, work in a team to assist the Field Crew Leader and Director of Conservation Programs with invasive plant management on the Angeles National Forest. Duties include hand removal of invasive plant species, herbicide application, rugged backcountry hiking, and some GPS mapping of plant populations. Must approach all tasks with respect for natural, cultural and fiscal resources, co-workers, volunteers, partner agencies, and organizations. This is a full time seasonal position (40 hours a week for 1 year, starting in March or as soon as positions are filled). Duty locations vary.
● A working knowledge of basic taxonomic principles and characteristics of major plant families and California flora desired.
● Ability to perform difficult physical labor such as pulling up plants.
● Ability to use GPS equipment and read/navigate with topographic maps.
● Ability to properly use hazardous equipment; ability to operate power tools such as chainsaw desired.
● Demonstrated interest in conservation
● Valid driver’s license.
● Ability to conduct fieldwork under a variety of environmental conditions is required.
● The physical ability to hike several miles a day for 10 hours a day, carrying a pack through strenuous terrain in adverse weather conditions.
● Must have physical strength and endurance sufficient to carry field equipment and supplies
Responsibilities: ● Under cooperative agreements between RSABG, the Angeles National Forest, and National Forest Foundation assists in the execution of invasive plant species removal.
● Manual removal of invasive plant species
● Herbicide application
● Drive and navigate to field sites
● Other duties as assigned.
Application Instructions (submission methods, etc.): Qualified candidates please send cover letter and resume to:
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
Attention: Rachel Wing
1500 N College Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711
Fax to (909) 626-3489
Contact Name: Rachel Wing, email@example.com